Worst job...
I think my worst job depends on what you would consider the worst... is the worst atmosphere? the worst people? worst work? most exhausting? the one that made you want to die? hmmmmmmmmm... I've been thinking about it, and really, I haven't had it all that bad at all... here's my worst experiences...
1. Exhausting/want to kill myself job - this one's easy... I was on an engagement (that's what we call jobs in my world) for three months last year where we were working easily 13-17 hours a day... plus the hour to two hour commute... hard, frustrating work too... I was on the verge of break-down last Christmas... oh, and I was working through the Christmas Holidays while taking vacation days... all life was was work and sleep... I was a zombie, and so was everyone else who was there. I'm not sure how we all survived. I think those three months drained at least a year of my life away. I can't fathom how some people there were working at that pace for a year...
2. Worst work - hmmmmmmm... I'd have to go with my first co-op term... Royal Trust... we were mindless lemmings there. I'm not sure what the heck we did? Anyways, we prepared T5 slips (tax slips)... that's what I do remember vaguely... Mindnumbing. No thinking. Just assembly line-like. Literally put a number onto the tax slip. I was soooo bored. four months of that was enough.
3. Worst people/atmosphere - On this one engagement I was on when I was a second year co-op, we were stuck at this client where the controller yelled at everyone and made the girls on my team cry... super-hostile, super-mean... it got to the point where the policy became that all information had to flow through the manager to the client and vice-versa, because everyone was afraid to talk to each other. The client's division was getting sold, so that was the reason for the hostility, but dang, it was definitely the worst people I ever had to work with and the most unhealthy atmosphere... swearing, yelling, crying... terrible...
Surely people can top those... I've been fortunate in that I've had a great work atmosphere and great people to work with in general.... so far... the events above were the notable exceptions... fingers are crossed that that will continue!

2 Comments:
i wanted to respond to this from yesterday, but i don't know 0- i've had it different, but not THAT bad, it feels like. i think since, in my opinion, i haven't had a REAL job yet, i kinda put them all in the category of "generally not so good". i mean, if we're looking for standouts, the Canada's Wonderland experience turned my head against service jobs (although i went to Playdium after - go figure), and being a phone interviewer wasn't a peach (although it DID refine my polite phone style, and taught me about probing - in terms of asking questions - and sped up my finger speed on a phone keypad).
But cleaning bathrooms here at CUC my first year - THAT was probably the craziest. They weren't any ordinary bathrooms. They were boys' bathrooms. HIGH SCHOOL boys' bathrooms. In a dormitory.
i thought i'd seen messes before, but this took the cake.
In other news....you've inspired me. Mind you, i can't match your prolificity (that's a word, right?) or quality, but hey. Read when you have a chance...
http://theministryofliving.blogspot.com
8:32 PM
ah yes, cleaning bathrooms... fun fun fun... i think that wins hands down.
i thought about putting in my experiences at Canadian Tire, but in the end they were pretty fun...
love the blog!
12:03 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home