Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Book Review: Emperor: The Field of Swords

This book by Conn Iggulden is historical fiction based on the life of Julius Caesar, and his journey from Spain to becoming part of the legendary Triumverate with Pompey the Great and Crassus, to his conquest of Gaul and Britain. I didn’t like this one at first, preferring the story told by Colleen McCullough in her historical fiction stories on Rome, particularly the stories surrounding Brutus’s mother Servilla, who Iggulden portrays as a whore. But Iggulden’s version becomes far more interesting once Caesar leaves Spain, particularly the interplay between himself and Brutus, along with the various historical events that occurred such as the Cataline conspiracy and the conquests of the Helvetti, Ariovistus and his famed victory over Vercingetorix of Briton. I didn’t like Iggulden’s portrayal of Caesar though… he didn’t seem as dominant or powerful as he probably was throughout his lifetime, nor did the reactions of the characters seem realistic at times, such as Iggulden’s entire portrayal of Caesar’s daughter Julia. Overall a decent book, but definitely not the best historical fiction I’ve read. (6/10).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home