Tuesday, July 25, 2006

In memory of Perry Lao...

I received this email today from one of my high school friends... Having never gotten the chance to meet Perry, I thought I would honour him the only way I could think of, and that's by sharing his story... Mae, I hope you don't mind... I wish you strength and love as you persevere through this tragedy. Rest in peace, Perry:

Dear Friends,
It's been a long time since we last communicated. I have some terrible news to share.


On July 1st, my boyfriend Perry and I were running in an organized 10K run, when he collapsed suddenly at the finish line and died. An autopsy did not reveal any problems with his heart and his death remains unexplained.

You may not have known him, but he was the most important person to me and I have no doubt that if he were still alive you all would have had a chance to meet him. I wanted to take the opportunity to tell you about him so that you may know him and his life.

Perry was the man I had been searching for all my life. He was funny, intelligent, and genuinely kind. He was excited about life and had many passions, travelling among them. He was planning a trip to Oktoberfest, Greece, and India all this year. Next year he was headed to Trinidad for the Cricket championships.

We shared many similar life experiences, even our parents' hobbies were similar. He wanted to be a doctor! There was even overlap in our social circles, it's a wonder why we didn't meet sooner.

It has been agreed by all our family and friends that Perry nor I have ever been happier than during the time we were together. We were better together and together life was sweeter. His death has been devastating. My heart is broken, but I know it will eventually heal.

I've attached the obituary I wrote for the Toronto Star (see below) and a link to a tribute video which can be found through google.

Thanks for letting me share.
love,
mae


Perry Jason Lao
Born February 23, 1976
Died July 1, 2006
Dearest grandson to Ay Lay Lao. Loving son to Juana and Peter Lao. Caring older brother to Janice. Soulmate to Mae Chiang. Perry completed a Biochemistry degree at Queen's University in 1999. He then pursued a law degree at University of Ottawa Law School graduating in 2002. He articled and worked at Gowlings and then IBM.
Travelling to over 40 countries in his 30 years, Perry was happy and healthy until the end. His enthusiasm for travel could only be inspiring. Perry's generosity, patience, kindness, and dynamic personality touched so many in his short life.
Perry died suddenly and tragically the morning of July 1, 2006 after pursuing and achieving yet another goal.
He is loved by many and will never be forgotten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home