Thursday, February 08, 2007

DVD Review: Veronica Mars Season 1

Kristen Bell stars as Veronica Mars in this modern Nancy Drew teen show. Veronica is the daughter of a private detective who was fired from being the town sheriff after going after one of the richest people in town during a murder investigation. The season started off really slowly actually, and I was quite bored, but it got better as the characters developed and the season long mystery story line progressed. The murder in question was of Veronica’s best friend, Lily Kane… surrounding that was Veronica’s mother disappearing, her boyfriend breaking up with her (Lily’s brother), and somehow her new motorcycle gang friend being involved… The acting in this one is terrible to start with, with Wallace Fennell (Percy Daggs III) being about as good an actor as Clark Kent’s ex-sidekick Pete Ross (Sam Jones III) on Smallville… it gets better later though. (What's with the III???)... Logan Echolls is pretty funny... Weevil seems like a dumb character though - ie. definitely not as tough as his image seems to be, and it's not clear how he got his tough guy image... Kristen Bell is cute, but reminds me a lot of Chloe Sullivan on Smallville... actually, the whole show had a Smallville-type feel, but without the super-powers... I’m not sure what Season 2 is like with the whole big mystery solved, but I guess we’ll see. It was entertaining, I suppose, but definitely not at the top of my list, despite the fact I used to love these little teen mysteries growing up… oh, the two minute mysteries and Encyclopedia Brown… (6/10).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home