more on the flu shot...
The other day, I was questioning the effectiveness of the flu shot... and what do you know... in the Toronto Star today, they had an article about that very topic! Click here to see it... Anyways, apparently of the people who had the shot last year, 19% got sick... versus 23% of people who didn't take the shot. Those who took the shot did not average many more days less of being sick either... Essentially the stats in this study say that 1 out of 20 people will get sick for 3 days less than someone who hasn't gotten the shot. So what does that mean? The shot is basically useless. What do you know? Meanwhile, this shot costs about $10 per person, so for the 5M people taking the flu shot, that's $50M in basically free money, the makers of the vaccine are getting. Pretty good dough, for a pretty useless vaccine!
Yesterday, as I was having lunch with a bunch of people, I found out that a store manager for the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) makes $90,000... that's $90K of Ontario Tax Payer's dollars! I couldn't believe it... You don't need any qualifications either... crazy... it's amazing how much money the government can shell out sometimes... how hard is it to manage a liquor store?? "we're out of vodka, sir, what do we do?"... "order more!"...
Happy Birthday Sze!

3 Comments:
only 3 days difference? That doesn't sound like much good... 'course, i don't remember the last time i had the flu, so i guess i'll wait 'till then to see if the shot's worth it.
i am a non-drinker, and i know what career i wanna go into, but $90 grand to be a manager of a liquor store is REAL inviting. Is it a union job of some sort; could that explain things?
11:33 AM
Aren't unions usually only for staff?... i don't think management is allowed to have a union, are they? I'm not sure... interesting topic to try and find out... anyone know?
regardless, nice job to have...
5:15 PM
When the Star did the survery, did they actually define what a flu is? Most people think stomach flu (which isn't really a flu at all) is the same as a normal flu which can obviously skew results. I've been getting flu shots since 1997 and I have not got the flu since, whereas in 1996 before I started getting flu shots, I got it bad and was sick for a few weeks.
8:48 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home