Book Review: A Case for Christ
I haven’t written a book review in a long time, mainly because this one took a long time to read. Well, really it took a long time to digest. A Case for Christ (ACFC) was written by Lee Strobel, a lawyer, who was an Athiest, but who, after his wife converted to Christianity, decided to examine whether there actually were merits to the story of Jesus Christ. ACFC is really an interesting read at the very least. I would recommend this to anyone who has any remote interest to religion of any kind, who really want to know what is fact and what is faith within Christianity, and in particular, to Christians themselves, who really have no idea why they believe in Christ in the first place. It answers a number of questions as it attempts to prove its case for Christ, and that the events in the New Testament did indeed occur.
From a personal standpoint, I think Strobel does a good job of answering a lot of questions, but he also is extremely biased in his writing. With Strobel being a lawyer, I was shocked that he only interviewed experts that support Christianity versus trying to interview people from both sides. Strobel tries to ask questions that most people who don’t believe in Christ would ask, and goes on to ask a lot of very detailed and complex questions about the faith. Strobel interviewed some of the top caliber experts. Unfortunately, without interviewing non-Christians, he really hurt his argument. This was clearly a one-sided argument.
I respect his logic though. He really appeals to analytical thinkers, and tries to answer questions someone with an inquisitive mind would ask. Through reading his book (and follow up research), I do have to say that I have made significant strides in what I believe, but he still left a lot of doors open, including ones I hadn’t thought of before, so really, I have about the same amount of questions, but just different ones.
I will try to address Strobel’s arguments over the next few months, as I find time to do so… For now, I’ll rate the book... (9/10). I highly recommend reading it, but don't expect it to be earthshattering... Analysis of his first argument to come shortly...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home