I feel like Roger Ebert... except not as fat...
Summerlicious for me started at the Summit House Grill (40 Eglinton E - at Yonge) this weekend. I have to say that the meal itself was pretty good. The caesar salad was good, and the filet mignon was very good. The chocolate fountain cake was only ok though - would have been good if it were hot. Overall, very good value for $20. The decor was also really nice in the restaurant. The downside: Worst service EVER... the guy didn't remember if he served us our appetizers, and it took half an hour to flag him down just to ask for water. It was also virtually impossible to hear anyone too... very poor accousitcs. So overall thumbs down, but only because the service was sooo horrible. Good value otherwise. Thanks to Connie for arranging!
Speaking of poor service... so, what do YOU do if you recieve bad service? I've never hesitated to give a zero tip personally. Yes, I do understand how hard it is for a waiter/waitress to make a living, and that tips are very important to them, but that, to me, doesn't ENTITLE them to a tip. I think they should earn it. If I receive good service, I will always at least match the tax. If the service is amazing, then I will leave more. But, bottom line, if you don't do a good job, I'm not forking out any tips, other than to tell them to do their job better the next time.
Recent books - well, finally finished The Guilded Chain by Dave Duncan... I was so into this book when it started... I thought it might end up being one of my absolute favourites, but unfortunately, the book lost me in the middle. The story is set in a world where knights (called Blades) are mystically bonded to a ward, and follows the Blade known as Durendal. Great concept, and Duncan lays out a great foundation through interesting narrative at the beginning. But the storytelling tails off in the middle. Enough that I became somewhat disinterested. The ending was also anti-climatic (6/10). I'll probably read the second book in the series to give Duncan more of a chance though.
Recent movies - I watched Hotel Rwanda starring Don Cheadle, which is about a hotel manager that struggles in Rwanda along with 1200 refugees he houses in his hotel. His main challenge - just trying to stay alive. Cheadle puts out a great performance in an interesting story. But it still didn't really leave me awed (7/10). Wimbledon starring Paul Bettany and Kirsten Dunst was alright. Predictable, and a little boring at times, but I think I watched it at the right time, and wanted to see a nice happy love story, so I enjoyed it (6/10) . I still hate Kirsten Dunst though. I'm not sure why people think she's attractive. Harvey Birdman Season 1 was an interesting DVD - for those of you who've never heard of Harvey Birdman, it's a weird cartoon about a superhero-turned lawyer, who defends, among others: Booboo Bear, Johnny Quest's dad, Apache Chief (of the Superfriends), and Fred Flintstone (who's taken on a Tony Soprano persona). Some funny stuff, and some really boring/dumb stuff. A little too much dumb stuff(4/10).

1 Comments:
Sometimes it's not the servers fault! There are other factors conspiring against your meal. I used to think that way until I played around in a server job. LOVED to feed people and I didn't even have to do the dishes! hahaha!
How do you have so much time to read books and watch movies?
2:36 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home