Friday, November 11, 2005

Oops... Forgot to remember...

Hmph. I totally forgot it was Remembrance Day today. In fact, I don't recall seeing a single veteran handing out poppies this year at all... very strange. Is it just my little world that's sheltered from this? I remember as a kid growing up, Remembrance Day was a big thing... In flanders fields where poppies grow... we'd have an assembly every year... skits, costumes, guest speakers, moment of silence... everything! Nowadays, it just seems to come and go. I guess I just don't know anyone in Canada that served for our country, which makes it difficult to remember. But the bigger thing was, I really didn't see a single person with poppies this year... hmph.... oops.

Ever get frustrated by the politics at work? I hate it when you try to do something, and it's a good idea and it's been approved - but it gets stalled, or gets blocked, or the minds of the big-wigs change... and because of it, you have to give a difficult message to someone... i don't mind if it just affects me, but when it affects other people's jobs or potential jobs? sigh...

Recent DVDs: Home on the Range was Disney's animated feature from 2004, starring Roseanne Barr of all people... basic story of cows trying to save their farm... some good music from the bad guy, but overall, some really crappy characters, and not funny at all. It's sad how far Disney cartoons have fallen... (2/10).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are SO correct about Remembrance Day...it's really uncool what's happened to it. At one point, didn't Remembrance Day equal a day off of school? Now it's been scaled back, at least in Ontario. Here in 'Berta (yes, i'm the only person who calls it that), schools and some businesses are closed, which at least brings some significance to the day. i don't know anyone who served, but i do have a couple of friends who either were in the army, or are reserves, and that helps to make it bigger for me. What's most important about Remembrance Day is that i don't worry about the peace and democracy we enjoy as a country, because a bunch of people fought to ensure i wouldn't have to. i'm grateful, straight up. And i really oughta take more opportunity to let vetrans know i appreciate their sacrifice.

(This is a really big comment; i might have to republish this elsewhere...)

i don't know if you have a moratorium on political commentary on this site, but if not, please comment on this whole Gomery inquiry stuff, and the possible election. And Terrell Owens! How have you not touched Terrell Owens? The J. Chai view is sorely needed for these two areas in particular....

4:51 PM

 
Blogger j said...

Alright... i'll think about commentary on Gomery... I can definitely touch on politics... it's just that Canadian Politics is pretty darn lame!!

As for Terrell Owens... ugh... what a spoiled little whiner... I hope he never plays another game... not that I really care, since I hate football (except for the $$$ I win in football pools). There's very few rules in sport... but number one is don't openly criticize your fellow players, especially when their another "star" of the team. It's one thing when Charles Oakley calls out Vince Carter to play harder, but you would never see Oakley say that the raptors would have been better off with Kobe Bryant. Saying something to spur on your team, and make them better is a good thing... it drives players to do better... saying derogatory statements that are sometimes baseless, definitely do not, and I applaud the Eagles for doing the right thing. I wish more teams would do that... like when Dirk Nowitski publically chewed out Jason Terry and Erick Dampier last year during the NBA playoffs... Dallas should have done something. It's always harder when it's a star. The Anaheim Angels did it with Jose Guillen two years ago... benched him because of attitude/comments... and then traded him to the Washington Nationals. Again, I wish more teams would do it. I don't care who it is.

5:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home