Friday, January 12, 2007

DVD Reviews: Syriana, Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Syriana
George Clooney, Matt Damon and Alex Siddig (Dr. Bashir from Star Trek: DS9) star in this drama about the oil business and foreign policy… this one tried to illustrate just how slimy the US can be and what lengths they will go to to protect their oil interests… actually reminded me of 24 Season 5… anyways, Clooney won best supporting actor for this last year… honestly, I’m not even sure what his character was supposed to be other than a CIA agent who gets caught up in a big mess. Damon plays a financial analyst who becomes an aide to one of the Princes of Arabia after his son is killed during a pool party? I liked the way this one was filmed actually (very raw), but the plot, while interesting, did not flow very well at all. It does a good job of showing the perspectives of the various parties involved, and makes a big statement about US interest. I like the one quote from Prince Nasir Al-Subaai: “When a country has five percent of the world's population but spends fifty percent of the world's military spending, that country's persuasive power is in decline”… Overall, a decent movie, but not a great one… Don’t watch it while distracted though, or else you won’t have any idea what’s going on… And don’t expect to actually like any of the characters very much, although I did think Nasir (Siddig) was a very strong character… (5/10).

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Wes Anderson is known for making quirky movies (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums), and Life Aquatic is definitely no exception. I liked Rushmore… Tenenbaums less so… Life Aquatic even less… I think I came out of it wondering what I could have spent my timing doing instead, which is never a good sign. Bill Murray plays Steve Zissou, a Jacque-Cousteau filmographer wanna-be who seeks out a mystery jaguar-shark that killed one of his best friends. Owen Wilson plays his illegitimate son, and Cate Blanchett is a reporter. This one’s just weird. They steal equipment from Jeff Goldblum, get attacked by Phillipino pirates who get chased away by Zissou and his one gun he picked up, then chase them to their island to rescue one of their team, and then somehow end up finding the shark. The movie is character driven, but the characters are so darn weird that it’s too hard to get attached. I would say, unless you really like The Royal Tenenbaums, pass on this one…. (1/10).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home